Many times immigration to another country becomes imminent, and we are left clueless, exploring viable options. If you are facing a dilemma such as this, consider Hong Kong as it is an excellent place to work. You can shift there and relocate your family too if you enjoy the lifestyle offered in this city. From all the citizens of Hong Kong, about 22,000 are Indians. This makes it a desirable destination for working.
Hong Kong is a city that has a lot to offer to all its citizens. There are many opportunities to try your hand at work here. The exposure you will have in terms of cultural diversity, food and more is an incredible learning experience. If you are Indian thinking about working in Hong Kong, then continue reading this article to find out more about Hong Kong work visa for Indians.
About Hong Kong Work Visa
The Hong Kong work visa is issued by the Hong Kong government under the Employment for Professionals scheme for foreign immigrants. Immigrants who are skilled professionals seeking employment in Hong Kong are given priority for this visa. This work visa is valid for a period of one year usually and must be renewed after this period. For all those considering working in Hong Kong, we have put together this guide to help you navigate through the process with ease.
Eligibility Criteria For Hong Kong Work Visa
Before beginning the application process, we must first determine whether you are eligible for a work visa. The Hong Kong work visa eligibility criterion has been listed and explained below for your perusal. Go through all the points in detail to determine your eligibility.
- The applicant must hold at least an undergraduate degree in the required field. If this is not possible, there must be documentary evidence proving the presence of required technical skills.
- A document stating that the applicant has no previous criminal records.
- A confirmed job in a company in the necessary field along with a proof from the employer stating that the vacancy could not be filled by any of the locals along with a confirmation that the applicant’s skills will contribute to the economic growth of the country.
- A confirmed salary that includes medical, accommodation and other benefits that are in level with the pay and benefits provided to the locals.
These parameters are subject to change according to the Hong Kong government without prior notice.
If you get approved by the government for your work visa under the scheme, you can also bring your family to Hong Kong. You can bring your spouse and unmarried dependent children (under 18 years of age). In this case, you need to provide documentary evidence proving the genuine nature of your marriage. Your salary should be able to cover all their expenses while providing a sufficient standard of living. Your spouse can also apply for a job without having to apply for an additional work visa.
Application Process For Hong Kong Work Visa
The Hong Kong work visa application process is pretty straightforward and can be completed with little to no difficulty. You just need to follow the steps written below to finish up your application process in no time.
After determining whether you are eligible or not, you can proceed with the application process. You only need to fill out the application form carefully before submitting it with the required documents to the Hong Kong Immigration Department. If you wish to bring your family, you can apply for the Dependent visas for them.
The application is processed in about 4-8 weeks in the department, and upon approval, you can collect it from the consulate office.
This visa is valid for up to one year after which it can be renewed every year until the time you work for the company. If you get a new job in a new company, then you have to apply for a new work visa since the old one is not transferable. If you continue to work in Hong Kong for seven years, you can apply for permanent resident status.
Required Documents For Hong Kong Work Visa
The application form that you fill out needs to be supplemented by official documents that verify your eligibility. The list of Hong Kong work visa required documents can be divided into two parts: one for the documents to be provided by the applicant and the other for the documents to be provided by the employer.
Documents to be provided by the applicant
- A valid passport with a minimum of six months validity
- Application form filled out completely
- Letter of job offer
- 2 to 3 recent passport-sized photographs
- Proof of overseas residence
- Health insurance
- Travel insurance
- Degrees and certificates showing educational qualifications
Documents to be provided by the employer
- Application form for employment of foreign professional
- A copy of the employment contract with details of the employee’s salary, benefits, work duration and more.
- Company’s financial information
- Company’s work background
- Copy of registration of the company with the government
Please note that all the documents should be either in English or Chinese. If the documents are in any other language, you need to get a translated copy of the document before submitting them with the application form.
This guide covers the entire process of applying for a work visa in Hong Kong. Being an Indian in a foreign country can be daunting at first, but as you familiarize yourself with the city of Hong Kong, you will soon grow to love it. There is so much to witness and experience in this city that you will enjoy the time you spend here. The city offers a lot in terms of work experience, cultural diversity and more.