Canada is a vast country with about 60% of its immigrants hailing from India and China. There are nearly 1.4 million Canadians of Indian heritage. It can be called a home away from home.
Working in Canada is a dream come true for many individuals. If you want to work in Canada, you should be aware of the Canada work permits in order to start working there at the earliest.
You can work there for the specified period of time under the Canada work visa. The department responsible for managing the citizenship, immigration, and refugees in Canada is known as the IRCC.
Table of Contents
Canada Work Visa/Permit Categories
Before we move onto the process of applying for a Canada work visa for Indians, let us first have a look at the categories of the work permit. All the types have been listed below with their specific descriptions.
Applicants who are visiting for business purposes or are transferred within the company or are traders, investors, professionals, etc. should apply in this category.
2. Temporary Workers
There are Open-Work Permits and Employer-specific Work Permits issued depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the work you have applied for. You can change or extend your permit in this category.
3. Permanent Workers
This permit allows eligible skilled workers to emigrate to Canada in the form of Express Entry.
4. Agricultural Workers
Applicants hired through the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program are eligible to apply for the work visa in this category.
International students are allowed to work on-campus or off-campus, depending on their qualifying factors. Also, students who have graduated can apply for a post-graduation work permit or permanent immigration through Express Entry.
International Experience Canada
Applicants who get an invite to apply for a work visa can qualify for the International Experience Canada pool.
Eligibility for the Canada Work Visa
The criteria for Canada work visa eligibility is written below. To determine whether you can apply for the work permit, kindly go through the eligibility criteria before applying for the work visa/permit.
- Proof that the applicant will leave Canada once the work permit expires
- Proof of sufficient funds to support themselves and family
- Proof of enough funds to return home
- Evidence of no criminal record
- No hostile intentions towards Canada
- Proof of good health by passing a medical exam and obtaining Medical Exam Certificate
- No plan to work under any of the employers listed in the list of ineligible employers
- No plan to work under any employer offering striptease, erotic dance, escort or erotic massage services
- Not have worked in Canada for one or more spans of time that total up to four years in the past four years
- Not be otherwise inadmissible to Canada
If all of the above are valid, you are eligible to apply for the Canada work permit.
Visa Application Process For Canada Work Permit
Once you have verified your eligibility, you can move on to the next step of applying for the work visa. The Canada work visa application process is very straightforward, and once you go through the steps below, you can handle all the steps with ease. There are two types of application processes:
1. Offline Process
The application process is initiated and carried out in the Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC), which is managed by VFS Global in India. The visa-related services are provided in Chandigarh, New Delhi, Chennai, Jalandhar, Hyderabad, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, Mumbai, Kolkata, and Pune.
2. Online Process
The entire process is carried out on IRCC’s official website, where you have to fill out the registration form and follow the instructions mentioned further.
You may be called in further for an interview at the Consulate of Canada.
All the work permits have their own specific fees. Your application process will only be processed further after submission once you pay the application fee. It is non-refundable in nature and is subject to change depending on the work permit category, application method, applicant’s nationality, and more. If you choose to apply through VFS Global or any other agency, you will be charged an additional fee. Read on to find out the application fee for each of the work visa categories.
- Work permit (including extensions) = $85 per person (Canadian Dollar)
- Work permit (including extensions) = $170 for a group of performing artists (three or more)
- Open Work Permit holder = $255
Required Documents For Canada Work Permit
There is a long list of Canada work visa required documents that should be kept in mind at all times. Failure to produce one or more documents can lead to issues during the processing of your visa application. Go through the list below to confirm whether you have all the required documents or not.
- Valid travel document or passport
- Two photos of the applicant along with the photos of any accompanying family members
- Proof that you fulfill the criteria for the job you are offered
- Certificate d’acceptation du Quebec, if necessary
- Evidence of relationship to spouse and children
- Completed application form
- Completed Document Checklist
- Completed Family Information form
- Completed Schedule 1 – Application for a Temporary Resident Visa. This should be completed by the applicant, spouse, and dependent children older than 18 years of age. This is for foreign nationals who require a visit visa to enter Canada.
- Completed Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union form
- Use of a Representative form. This is in case you are using a representative to conduct your business on your behalf. This is also applicable for all dependent children over 18 years of age who are using a representative.
Want to immigrate to Canada? Living and working in Canada is an excellent experience for all global skilled professionals. The peaceful life and cultural diversity are sure to attract you. Apart from these, the self-evident reasons to work in Canada include the expanding economy, excellent healthcare services, low crime rate, and cheap and quality education. Once you start working in Canada, you will appreciate the life there.